Thanksgiving Themed Activities
Thanksgiving Read Alouds!
Activities to go with these videos.
Go InternationalMany other countries celebrate their own versions of Thanksgiving throughout the year. Introducing elements of other cultures can also turn itno a mini-geography lesson for kids. Consider adopting one of these traditions for Thanksgiving:
- In Jewish culture, some families build a hut from branches called a Sukkot. Then they eat a meal beneath the hut.
- In China, families enjoy mooncakes, filled flaky pastries. The cakes were often used to deliver secret messages.
- In Korea, families honor the deceased. They hold a memorial service and occasionally visit a graveyard before feasting on Songpyeon.
- In Liberia, chicken and mashed cassavas replace turkey and mashed potatoes on the Thanksgiving table.
- In Ancient Rome, citizens celebrated Ceres, the goddess of corn. Ceres is also where we get the word cereal, so perhaps you could incorporate some sugary cereal into your Thanksgiving meal.
English Language Arts
A Play - Squanto's Squash